I’ve always loved the Playstation 3’s built-in music vizualiser. And now that it’s possible to boot the PS3 XMB (XrossMediaBar) in the RPCS3 emulator, we can finally play mp3’s with the amazing PS3 music vizualizer on Windows, Mac or Linux PC’s.
First of all an important disclaimer, since it has limitations:
- YOU CAN NOT SKIP/CHANGE TRACKS.
That’s right. It will only play ONE track you selected. So it is best to use with long recorded livesets or full album compilations.
- THE COLORFUL/BLURRY MUSIC VIZUALIZER WORKS BEST.
Both the Earth visualizer and PS3 XMB vizualizer also work, but the audio becomes annoyingly choppy. Perhaps this is just my system and you’ll have better luck.
- It’s best to keep the window active
If you just run it in the background, it may suddenly stop playing for some reason… Results may vary.
- I’ve only tested this on Windows 11
It should also work on Linux and Mac.
How to install the PS3 Music Visualizer
- Download the latest version of RPCS3 + the PS3 System Software (Firmware).
- Extract RPCS3 (e.g. using 7zip)
- Go to [RPCS3 directory]/dev_hdd0/ and create a new directory called music. Copy-paste your mp3’s to [RPCS3 directory]/dev_hdd0/music
- Now run RPCS3
- File – “install firmware” and select the PS3UPDAT.PUP file
- Configure your controller/keyboard input
- File – “Boot VSH/XMB”
A window pops up and it will take about 20 minutes to compile +/- 1.410 modules. Don’t worry this only needs to be done once.
- Once done, it will ask to ‘rebuild local database‘. Press ‘X’ and wait a few seconds.
When completed, nothing will happen anymore. You will need to close the window and again “File – Boot VSH/XMB“.
- It should now boot up the PS3 XMB. Go through the initial setup
(tips: activate the HDMI output at 1080p. + Internet/LAN does NOT work yet, don’t bother and just cancel at that point)
- You should be able to see your MP3 file(s) under the music tab.
Once a track is playing you can start and change the visualizer with the SQUARE button
Some interesting tips on downloading and using the PS3 Music visualizer for PC
- It runs at 60fps on at 1080p and uses just 10% of my CPU / 8% of my GPU, so nothing to worry about there!
- Internet/LAN streaming does NOT work in the XMB environment, so you won’t be able to use DLNA yet.
- You can manipulate the visuals with the RIGHT joystick (or with keyboard-keys you’ve binded with it)
- You can hide the HUD and track info with select
I’ve looked for ages to get my all-time favorite visualizer ported and working on PC. I’m not sure if I’ll use it that often yet, but I’m happy to see it’s finally working. I hope this worked for you as well!