Your Nintendo Switch, Yuzu and/or Ryujinx can’t run compressed .NSZ and .XCZ files. You need to convert them to .NSP or .XCI files first. Luckily I discovered a must-have tool called Switch Army Knife (SAK) which can do just that, and so much more…
Decompress and convert NSZ Roms to NSP, and XCZ roms to XCI
The main feature I needed was to (de)compress .NSZ or .XCZ roms to save on space. This free tool can easily ‘unzip’ and convert .NSZ roms to .NSP files; And convert .XCZ files to .XCI. You can also use it to save storage by compressing your roms.
But Switch Army Knife (SAK) can do pretty much everything you’d want to do with .XCI, .NSP and .NSZ Roms
SAK can do a lot with .XCI files:
- Extract firmware from .XCI files
- Patch your .XCI to a lower firmware version or update it to a newer
- Split or merge .XCI files
- Convert XCI files to .NSP and/or .XCZ
The same goes for .NSP files… SAK can:
- Patch your .NSP to a lower firmware version or update it to a newer
- Split or merge .NSP files
- Convert .NSP files to .NSZ and/or .XCI
Finally it can also extract your Save files from the the eMMC. The fun don’t stop!
How to download and install Switch Army Knife
- Download the latest Swiss Army Knife version from Github (or my mirror of version 0.7.14)
- Extract the downloaded .zip file anywhere you want and run SAK.exe
The software itself is extremely simple to use. You’ll be decompressing .NSZ and .XCZ files in no time. I hope this helped you out!